The Wayback Machine -

Boyd Wayne Schwartz

July 14, 1951 - September 21, 1975

The Norman Transcript
September 23, 1976

Services for Boyd Wayne Schwartz, 24, 424 E. Hughbert St., will be at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at Primrose Chapel.

The Rev. Paul Finchum and the Rev. John Edwards will officiate. Burial will be in Norman IOOF Cemetery.

Schwartz was shot to death here early Sunday.

A painter, Schwartz was a veteran of the Vietnam War and attended Pentecostal Holiness Church. He was born July 14, 1951, in Oklahoma City.

Survivors are his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wilmer H. Schwartz of the home; two brothers, Darrell Eugene of 1418 Eisenhower Road and Wendell Leroy of the home; and grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Homer Schwartz of Alex and Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Breedlove of Moore.

The Norman Transcript
September 22, 1976
by Jane Glenn

Norman Police officers left today for Tucumcari, N.M. to pick up a 33 year old suspect in the possible "drug related" shooting death of another Norman man early Sunday.

Robert L. Moore, 33, 917 N. Pickard Ave. was charged in District Court today with second-degree murder in connection with the death of Boyd Wayne "Ernie" Schwartz, 24, 424 E. Hughbert St.

Moore was arrested about 3:30 p.m. Sunday in Tucumcari for allegedly attempting to sell drugs in the city. Norman police were notified immediately due to an all points bulletin already issued from police headquarters here, Capt. Bud Argo, chief of detectives, reported.

Schwartz was found shot to death in Moore's home about 2 a.m. Sunday after Moore's wife Vicky and another Norman couple, Jimmy and Linda Jacobs, called police from the Jacobs residence.

Mrs. Moore and the Jacobses were booked into Cleveland County Jail as material witnesses to the shooting after the trio told officers they were in the Moore house when the shooting occurred, Argo said.

Mrs. Moore has since been charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute stemming from the confiscation of a "large quantity" of the drug from the Moore residence, Argo added.

She was released from jail today, however, after posting a $2.500 bond. Jacobs also posted a $2,500 bond and his wife posted a $500 bond.

Investigating officers discovered Schwartz body lying face down on a couch in the den of the Moore residence. He was pronounced dead at the scene, officers reported, apparently the victim of a gunshot would in his head.

Officers went to the Moore home after Mrs. Moore called Patrolman Dennis Fox from the Jacobs residence at 1630 Stubbeman Ave.

She told Fox that she and the Jacobses and her husband had been drinking and watching television the previous evening. She said she and the Jacobses fell asleep in the living room about midnight.

At 12:30 a.m., she said a man she knew only as "Ernie" came to the door and he and her husband began discussing going to Arkansas on Sunday.

She said she went back to sleep while the two men were talking in the den. She noted that her husband seemed "very intoxicated" at the time.

At about 1:30 a.m., she said she and the Jacobses woke up when they heard a "popping noise."

Moore then came into the living room and shouted "get out of the house, I've gone crazy." She told police.

Jacobs said he "grabbed" his wife, officers reported, and went to his car. Mrs. Moore, he said, got her 5 year old son and joined them and they drove to the Jacobs house where they called police.

Argo said when officers arrived at the Moore residence, the lights were out and the doors locked, but that officers forced their way in and discovered Schwartz's body.

Argo said officers found a large quantity of drugs and drug paraphernalia in the house. He said part of the drugs were identified as marijuana but that other drugs confiscated have not been identified yet.

A note found in the kitchen also was confiscated, police reported.

When Moore was arrested in Tucumcari, Argo said, he was apparently attempting to sell drugs and had in his possession a 30:30 rifle, a .22 caliber pistol, a .22 automatic rifle and a .45 revolver.

The arrest was made without incident, Argo said.

The police captain said officers would bring Moore back to Norman late tonight or early Tuesday and that additional drug charges maybe filed against the man.

He allegedly ad a quantity of cocaine with him in Tucumcari, Argo said, but authorities there "probably" won't file charges against him.

An autopsy on Schwartz was ordered today, Argo said, and preliminary findings indicated he was shot with a .45 revolver.

Sharing Memories of Boyd Wayne Schwartz
e-mail to John Coley


NHS 1969 Deceased

Frames made by: Whispering Owl Designs

This page was updated: Thursday, 17-Jul-2008 17:19:21 CDT

This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.

This site created, & by Peggy Clark

This site maintained by
John Coley

The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.

All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!